Neil Nedley, MD, is the founder of the successful Depression and Anxiety Recovery Program . This program emphasizes plant-based foods for healing from the inside out. These omega-3 rich cookies come from his book, “Depression, The Way Out” and they are always a hit at parties! Enjoy making Dr. Nedley’s Maple Walnut Cookies!
2 1/2 cups whole raw walnuts, shelled
2/3 cup all purpose gluten free flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup ground flaxseed
1/3 cup mini vegan chocolate chips (or carob chips)
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Makes about one dozen.
Preheat the oven to 350ºF
1) Place walnuts in a food processor and pulse until they are all broken into crumbs.
2) Combine all the ingredients into medium mixing bowl.
3) Drop a spoonful unto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicon baking mat. Depending on how flat you place them on the cookie sheet, they won’t spread too much. However, give them room to breath while baking!
4) Bake for 12 minutes and let cool before removing from the cookie sheet. They also taste soft and chewy the day after!
* Kitchen tip: when doubling or tripling this recipe add in the salt to taste. I tripled the recipe and had well over 3 dozen but I only used 2 teaspoons of salt.